Thursday, May 22, 2014

First Breath

I am a Grandmother. 

I have loved, and do love, so many little people as if they were my flesh and blood. They are counted as some of my very greatest blessings. 

Little smiles, little toes, unruly curls, wide eyes, dirty faces, and oh that heavy warm weight in your arms when they finally.... FINALLY fall asleep. 

I love them. All these little people in my life. Gifts from God Himself. 

The most awesome privilege has been having grandchildren that look like people you love. People your heart and soul and flesh and blood are tied to. 

At this writing I have 2 amazing grandsons... Both came into my life by way of Love. 

One lives near and the other far. 

Baby B carries traces of faces that I have carried in my own reflection all my life. Toddler E carries in his frame hints of the man who tends my heart so gentle and true. 

I held my breath on the days these little men came into the world. In a waiting room in one city, assisting pushes with a sister Gramma in another. The awe I felt in seeing the faces in those places, the pacing I'm so prone to, the need for prayer, the lack of sleep, the deep rest after all were tucked in so tired... The same. 

That sense of being so close to the Creator and His handiwork... The tangible miraculous that's left behind in those places where humanity has been pushed to its brink and the most beautiful has come from the most excruciating. 

There are nearly no words to describe the honor. 

Hot tears, dark circles, fervent prayer, nights spent in hotels far from home or on hard cold hospital furniture. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting...

...and then the cry!

The breath! 

The flood of relief and surge of incredible joy! 

The news coming fast by text to a row of Grandparents waiting with smart phones poised to rocket messages of the miracle to family and friends the world over. 

Incredible gift. 

My throat gets tight, tears come, and I close my eyes to breathe out Thank You...

Merciful, gracious, extravagant Giver.

These once blind eyes see Your hand...
Oh look what Love has done. 





No comments:

Post a Comment